Saturday, April 4, 2009

Internet!

They FINALLY fixed the internet at the school! It stopped working in mid-December when the phone company (I think it’s called Ghana Telecom) was bought out and they new company had to relay all the cables or something. Our internet service provider was supposed to set up a temporary thing like a jump drive that could be reloaded like a phone card and used on only one computer, but they couldn’t get it to work. So for the past three and a half months, I’ve had to go to an internet café to go online. It was quite inconvenient and became expensive after a while. Now, instead of having to walk fifteen minutes to pay 80 pesewas a minute to sit cramped at a little table with creepy Ghanaian men harassing me all the time, I can just walk the forty second walk from the house to the school and go online for free in the comfort of my own classroom. Fantastic!

I’m at the school right now. I’m supposed to be grading and recording the results of the exams and homework, but I’m much too distracted by this wonderful invention called the internet! I’m great at procrastinating, but somehow I always manage to get everything done in time, and I’m confident that putting together the kids’ reports will be no exception.

Tomorrow I’m going to a wedding. On Monday, the reports are due, I think, but I’m not sure. Wednesday is the last day of school. We have two-and-a-half weeks off for Easter, I think, or maybe longer, but again, I’m not sure. They forget to tell me these things sometimes. Anyway, I’ll be busy for the next few days until the reports are finished... see you then!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's great news about the internet! I hope you enjoy your Easter vacation and get to do some of the things you've been talking about. How are you feeling? Back to normal yet? I hope the kids in your class have a great holiday also, especially 'Jane' and some of the others who have it so hard at home. Our prayers are with you all. Continue to do your great work with them, Kate, I know that you are having a wonderful impact on them!