Sunday, December 28, 2008

I ran into an old friend

I finally made it to the beach. I left the house in the morning, determined to see something new, but unsure as to where I would end up. I took a trotro to Accra, and somehow I ended up at La (I forget the name) Beach.

It was lovely to see the ocean again! The Atlantic ocean is an old friend... we met for the first time in 2007 at a cove in Royan, France. Although I occasionally wave as I pass by when I travel by airplane, I haven’t seen it since Royan. When I ran into it today, however, dipping my toes into the foam and kicking the waves with my feet, it was like no time had passed at all, and we picked up right where we left off.

The beach was so lovely... a much needed indulgence! I ate a lunch at a beach-side resort restaurant... a really delicious cheeseburger (my first non-Ghanaian food in almost three months!) with pineapple and Malibu to drink. It was an expensive meal by Ghanaian standards (GH¢5 for the cheeseburger and GH¢6 for the drink), but after the week I had, I felt that I deserved it.

It was so relaxing, the beach! There were so many other obrunis there that no one stared at me. I spent several hours there at the table under the shade of the umbrella, listening to music on my iPod, writing in my journal, people watching, losing myself in the waves... :)

No comments: