Monday, November 24, 2008

Typing

I feel like there’s a lot going on that I want to write about, but I’m too sleepy right now... and it’s only 8:45! I had trouble sleeping last night, so I’ve been tired all day. To top it off, I’ve spent the past week at school typing up exams. Most of the teachers here don’t know how to type, only Mr. Sackey (the computer teacher), Mator (the librarian), and I know how to type. The other teachers just handwrite their exams and give them to us. We have the lucky job of typing up every exam for every subject in every class between the three of us. It’s tiring, time-consuming, tedious, blah. Part of me is annoyed at the other teachers for not being able to do something so simple as typing up their own exams, but I have to remind myself that most of them don’t have computers at their homes... how are they supposed to practice? We’re only in the first term, so after these exams, we’ll still have to do this two more times (there are three terms in a Ghanaian school year). We’ve been typing a lot and we’re not even close to being finished! It probably wouldn’t be so bad if we weren’t crammed in a small, hot room, using huge, ancient computers on little kid desks. There’s not even enough room for the keyboard to fit on the desk, so I have to hold it on my lap. The keys are really hard to press so my wrists hurt and my fingers become tired. Sometimes it’s hard to read the teachers’ writing so I have to guess what they’re trying to say. Really! I know it would take a really long time for the other teachers to type up their own exams, since they would have to go letter by letter, but it also takes a really long time for three of us to type EVERYONE’S exam.

Okay, I’m done complaining. It’s 8:53 right now and I’m ridiculously tired and in a bad mood. Sorry! Maybe I’ll feel better in the morning.

No comments: