Monday, November 3, 2008

Kate hates puppies

I remember a conversation I had over lunch one day this summer when a friend commented on my positive outlook and my enthusiasm for everything that I love... “Kate, you love everything. Is there anything you don’t love?”

It’s true that I love, not like but love, most things in life. I paused for a moment, trying to think of something I didn’t love. I finally came up with my answer: “Dogs. I don’t love dogs.”

“What?! How can you not love dogs?” ...which somehow turned into “Kate hates puppies,” which wasn’t true at the time.

Now, it’s true. I hate puppies, because they grow up to become dogs, and I hate, loathe, and despise dogs and wish all dogs would die a painful death. You probably would, too, if you ever had to go through what I went through last night.

I was attacked by dogs last night. Attacked!

The nuns keep dogs around to scare off intruders at night. During the day, they keep the dogs locked in cages or chained up, because they don’t want to risk the dogs attacking a child. I’ve always been afraid of the dogs here, because they bark at me. I’m afraid to leave the house at night, because I’m scared of being attacked.

Yesterday afternoon, I went to the school to use the internet. I hadn’t finished everything I wanted to do, but I saw that it was almost dark, so I quickly packed up and left. I knew the dogs would be out after dark. What I didn’t know was that they’re allowed to be out during the day on weekends, because there aren’t any kids around. As I was walking across the compound from the school to the house, they started barking and coming toward me. There were so many! There were at least seven, all running toward me and barking. I was terrified!

What would you do if a pack of mean, vicious, wild dogs charged at you? I decided to run for it. I bolted toward the house as fast as I could. One of the dogs bit my leg just as I got to the garage. I dashed into the garage, thinking they would stop outside without following me, but one was bold enough to chase me into the garage. That bitch bit my other leg so hard that I screamed. I kept running into the house, and fortunately, it didn’t follow me inside.

I was shaking and whimpering all the way up to my room. I sat on my bed and took my off my jeans one leg at a time. My left leg had a few dark bruises where the dog had bit me. My right leg was covered with blood. There aren’t any holes in my pants, so I don’t know how the teeth penetrated my jeans, but somehow, they tore the skin off my leg.

I sat there on my bed, sobbing hysterically. I was SO shook up by the whole incident. I don’t remember ever crying so hard in my life. My legs hurt, but I wasn’t crying because of the pain. I cried because I had just been swarmed and attacked by dogs. And not just any dogs... the dogs here are ugliest dogs I’ve ever seen. And the ugliest dogs I’ve ever seen had just taken a chunk out of my once-pretty leg. I was so traumatized! I sat there for about twenty minutes, just balling my eyes out, until I heard a knock at the door. My room was suddenly filled with nuns, and the next thing I knew, I was sitting in the back seat of the car as Sister Juliana drove me to the emergency room.

At the hospital, the nurse cleaned up my wounds and gave me a tetanus shot. The dogs had been vaccinated against rabies, which is good. It’s not good to close wounds from bites, which is bad... I could really use stitches. I’m definitely going to have big scars on my legs, especially my right leg. Stupid dogs! I hate them. I had such a bright future, too! Now, I’m positive that I’ll never get married. Who could love a girl with a big, ugly scar on her leg? Ugh, I can’t believe that one stupid dog has made me both unlovable and unmarriageable in a matter of a few seconds.

“We’ll just give you a veil, so you don’t have to worry about marriage,” Sister Juliana teased. “You know, you need to befriend the dogs so they don’t attack you. Go out and play with them sometimes.”

Ha! Ha ha ha ha! Play with those monsters? “That’s like saying you should befriend the devil so he won’t bother you,” I said. “I hate dogs!” Especially these dogs. They’re SO UGLY, and so mean.

I will never own a dog, just on principle. There are a few dogs that I like - Bosco, Lexy, Baxter, Bella - but really... have you ever heard of a cat making someone unlovable? I love cats, but I don’t love dogs (which translates to “Kate hates puppies).

1 comment:

JN said...

gotta love that adventure!!!! =) and in your own words: "it's not what's outside, it's what's inside". so taking that advice, if a guy is gonna love you for your legs, he's not the guy you want to marry anyway!!!!