Tuesday, October 28, 2008

So much to see

I’ve been here for three weeks, and I haven’t taken a single picture! I still have plenty of time here to take pictures... just under nine months. In nine months from today, I’ll be back in California!

I never thought I’d say this, but... I miss America. I miss living in a house with running water. I miss being able to sleep soundly without worrying about being bit by a mosquito and getting really sick with malaria. I miss being clean all the time. I miss paved roads and paved sidewalks. I miss streets that have names. I miss being able to drive wherever I need to go. I miss having endless choices of what to eat or drink. I miss being able to enjoy the sun without worrying about becoming sunburnt. Most of all... I miss having a cell phone and being able to communicate easily with my family and friends. I miss going out with my friends and hanging out with my family. I miss going out for coffee, or to the movies, or to a restaurant, or out for drinks.

So, yes, there are a few things I miss about America, but I’m still happy to be here in Africa to experience something new. Last week, I had sort of an emotional breakdown and just wanted to go home. Then I became really sick with a cold and realized that I’m not ready to go home just yet. There’s still so much to see and to experience! I’m glad I have nine more months here, even if they’re nine months without running water or paved sidewalks.

Ghana is still a developing country. There is a lot of poverty in this country. My school is in a middle class, suburban neighborhood, so I don’t see much of it, but I’ve heard about other places on the news or from people who have been there. The country’s leaders are working to develop it here, encouraging economic growth and trying to improve the living conditions. For example, new, bigger roads are being constructed, and presidential nominees are promising free secondary education. Ghana is still recently independent, having celebrated fifty years of independence from British imperialism last year. Ghana fortunately is a very safe, peaceful country. Everyone here is hoping that the upcoming elections will go smoothly so that their country remains a peaceful place.

There is so much to see here! People tell me of different regions and places to see. I don’t remember all the names, but I just really hope that I’ll be able to see everything!

No comments: