Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My New Room

I woke up today in a new room. My new room has white walls and a white ceiling fan. My bed has blue sheets. My windows have Flintstone curtains. For the first time in over a year, I have a night stand, which makes me quite happy. There is a wooden wardrobe for my clothes and shoes at the foot of my bed. Opposite the wardrobe is my wooden desk and some shelves on the wall. I also have a chair. My new room is slightly smaller than a dorm room, but I have it all to myself so it feels bigger. It even has electricity.

I slept in quite a bit. Today they let me rest. So kind. I stopped by the school this afternoon. My pink house is RIGHT next to the school, which is quite convenient. I met some of the teachers and waved to the students. There were many people so I was a little overwhelmed. I don’t really remember many of the teachers’ names. Everyone was quite welcoming! “You are welcome!” seems to be the standard greeting here.

The kids are very adorable. I’m excited to get to know them all by name! I’m afraid that will be difficult, because they all look the same! Each child has the same short haircut, boy or girl. They all wear the same uniforms, except the girls wear dresses and the boys wear shorts. They seem to be very respectful. I hope it lasts!

When I told him I had decided to come to Africa, one of my best friends was worried about my motives. “Are you sure you really want this? Are you sure you’re not just running away from your heartbreak? Are you avoiding real life? Postponing deciding what to do in your future?”

“I’ve wanted this for years,” I told him truthfully.

But I realize that escaping real life and major decisions is a wonderful side benefit. Somehow, becoming a grown-up in America is SO much scarier than moving temporarily to a new country. I don’t know what I want to do with my life. I left my quarter-life crisis unresolved in America, and I won’t have to think about real life for a while. I’m not going to have time, anyway.

In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy life as much as possible. I’m going to live in the moment. I’m going to experience as much as I can. I’m going to make a difference. I’m looking forward to the challenge. :)

No comments: