Sunday, July 19, 2009

For Good

Lately, I’ve been soooo excited about going home. Like, jumping-up-and-down excited. Oh yes. Those who know me well may be familiar with how I sometimes can’t contain my excitement. Sometimes, when I’m sitting at the table during breakfast, I begin to tremble just imagining myself stepping off the plane in LAX. I laugh to myself in anticipation of just drinking an iced coffee at a green table with my friends or watching a movie with my family. I can now laugh about the things about the culture that bother me. For example, yesterday I was walking from my house to the junction on my way to Accra, and I heard so many, “obrunis!” but all I could think was, “Ha! Only 9 more days of this, then I’ll be back in America!”

I can’t wait to go home... but leaving Ghana? Leaving hadn’t hit me until today. Just now, as in a few minutes ago, I was listening to a song from the musical Wicked. The song is called “For Good.” Here are some of the lyrics:

It well may be that we will never meet again in this lifetime, so let me say before we part, so much of me is made from what I learned from you. You’ll be with me like a hand-print on my heart. And now whatever way our stories end, I know you have rewritten mine by being my friend.

I started crying. How will I say goodbye to my students? It’s true that they exasperate me more often than not and make me question why I ever wanted to become a teacher, but when it comes down to it, despite the noise and the excuses and the headaches, I really love them. I am so grateful for this experience of being their teacher. It was simultaneously the most challenging and most rewarding job I’ve ever had.

Who can say if I’ve been changed for the better? Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.

I have to say goodbye to these people in a week from tomorrow. Oh my God.

3 comments:

Jason said...

I have yet to get used to the idea of saying good-bye to my students. One would think that as often as I have done it, I would be used to it by now, but this is not the case.

Good luck with everything!!

Unknown said...

I know it will be hard to say goodbye. Just think of all the people who can't wait to see you again, including me! I hope your last days there go smoothly and you have a great trip home! See you on Aug 2nd.

Laura said...

Oh, baby! You're almost home. Take the experiences you have had there and let them change you for the better! I can only imagine the exhiliaration of going home! Hehe~ I've been here, in a little town in Italy for only 5 days, and I'm like, "OMG. What am I doing here?!!" You inspire me, my dear. Keep your head high, love your students to the end, and know that I'm happy that you are finally going home!