Saturday, January 10, 2009

2009

Hmm... it has been a while since I’ve written here, hasn’t it? To be honest, my new year hasn’t exactly been very happy. I’ve been quite sick since January 2nd, so unfortunately I was unable to spend my Christmas break traveling like I had hoped. I’ve basically been stuck at the convent for most of 2009 with stomach pains and headaches... it’s so isolating. I consequently have been feeling a bit depressed and lonely, missing my family, my friends, and my students. I don’t have my usual comforts to help me through, so I’ve been trying to make due with the few comforts I have... basically, Herbert (my pet bat), chocolate, and John Mayer. That’s about it.

Also, the internet has been down at the school for almost a month now. The phone company that we use for the internet was bought out, and the new company is redoing the cables. Apparently, they don’t anticipate finishing for another two to three months! If I want to go online, I have to go to an internet cafe, where I have to pay 60 pesewas an hour for an agonizingly slow internet connection in a little shack frequented by creepy Ghanaian men who blast dirty rap music as they chat with slutty foreign women online and who can’t seem to understand why I’m not completely eager to marry them. And yes, that will be my only connection to the outside world for another two to three months! I’m so bummed because I’ve taken so many pictures that I would love to share, but the connection is so slow that it would take probably an hour to upload one. I’m so discouraged that I’m thinking about giving up writing blogs altogether. Worst of all, I feel so bad for taking so long to respond to messages from my friends! I’m so sorry!

So the first ten days of my 2009 have sucked... but after such a crappy start, it can only get better from here, right? I’m really looking forward to starting school again on Monday. Once I’m busy again, I’m sure I’ll be much happier. They’re my favorite part of being here, you know... my students. I absolutely adore them, and I’ve missed them so much. Being a teacher can be so rewarding, and I think that once I’m with my kids again, everything will be better, and my new year can start to be happy. I still have 355 days to enjoy the rest of my 2009. It will be a great year.

No comments: